Source: Special Exhibit
The parlor in the Gertrude Smith House contains many portraits of the Smith family. Looking into the mirror in the above photograph, you will see the portrait of Gertrude Gilmer Smith, Gertrude’s mother. Seen above the piano is the portrait of Gertrude’s father, Jefferson Davis Smith.
The square grand piano, built in the 1800’s out of Brazilian Rosewood, rests in the parlor. The rare piano can be seen in the above image. The piano belonged to Gertrude’s grandmother, Matilda Caroline Moore Gilmer, daughter of former North Carolina Governor Jesse Franklin.
The library in the Gertrude Smith House holds over 3,000 books many of which are first editions. The library was restored in the winter months of 2015. The volunteers spent many hours categorizing, cataloging, and cleaning all of the books found throughout the home.
Many books contained mystery notes and interesting artifacts belonging to family members. Found in one of the books was a newspaper clipping of the details of Isabel Keary’s wedding. Isabel was the sister of Gertrude Smith.
The Gertrude Smith House was built in 1903. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. The home has been solely owned since 1903 by the Jefferson Davis Smith family. It is located at 708 North Main Street in Mount Airy, North Carolina.
When Mr. Smith’s daughter, Gertrude, passed away in 1981 at the age of 90, she willed that her home be left as though it was still occupied. The beautiful Victorian home is filled with large pier mirrors, corner cupboards, brass cornice boards, and lovely period antiques.
Today, the Gertrude Smith House operates as a living museum. There is no admission charge to tour the home.
For Information on the Home and Tours, Contact (336)786-6856.